770-609-1247 | Georgia Legitimation Attorneys

Georgia Legitimization Attorneys | Phone: 770-609-1247

Coleman Legal Group, LLC

Call 770-609-1247 now to speak with one of our experienced Legitimization Attorneys.

The only way, other than by marrying the mother of a child, that a father of a child born in the state of Georgia may establish legal rights to his child is by filing a legitimization legal action in Superior Court.

Only the father of a child may file a petition seeking to legitimate his child.

Frequently, unmarried fathers seek to be legitimized when their attempts to spend time with their child is thwarted by the mother.  In a successful legitimization case, a father can expect regular visitation with his child – but can also be expected to pay child support.  However, it is not uncommon for a father to file for the legitimization of his child and the mother found to be unfit (drug abuse, mental illness, homelessness, etc.).  In these cases, the father can expect to be made the primary physical and legal custodian of the child(ren) and will not be usually be required to pay any child support.  For additional information, See O.C.G.A. Sections 19-7-20 through 19-7-27. >

Most legitimization cases are successful, in that the father will be legitimized, be granted significant and regular visitation and be granted legal rights to his child(ren).

A Georgia Superior Court’s order of legitimization creates a father and child relationship legally between the petitioner and his child.  An order of legitimization establishes that the child may inherit from his/her legal father or the father can inherit from their child.  An order of legitimization allows the legal father to be listed on the child’s birth certificate as the father.  Many fathers incorrectly believe that merely being listed on the birth certificate at the father legitimates the child.  The father must still file a petition with the Court to legitimate the child. A Court’s order for legitimization is the only way that the father of a child born out of wedlock can be recognized as the legal father of a child and therefore can petition for custody and/or visitation with this child.

Custody and child support will almost always addressed as a part of the legitimization action.

It should be noted, if a child has been legitimated and the child’s mother dies, the father will not automatically be granted custody of the child.  So sometimes, a legitimization action needs to be filed in an otherwise healthy parenting relationship if the mother should pass away.  In Georgia, a legal action for legitimization should be filed in the Superior Court of the county where the child resides.  However, if there is an adoption pending regarding the child, the petition for legitimization should be filed in the county where the adoption was filed.

Divorce and Family Law – Georgia Areas We Serve

Our Georgia divorce lawyers and family law attorneys handle cases in the following cities and communities: Atlanta, Alpharetta, Roswell, Duluth, Johns Creek, Milton, Cumming, Sharon Springs, Suwanee, Marietta, Woodstock, Sandy Springs, Kennesaw, Gainesville, Midtown Atlanta, Norcross, Lawrenceville, Kennesaw, Duluth, Buckhead, Dunwoody, Vinings, Smyrna, Buford, Inman Park, Old Fourth Ward, Decatur, Grant Park, East Atlanta and the Virginia Highlands.

Our Georgia divorce lawyers and family law attorneys frequently handle cases for clients residing in the following counties: Fulton, Gwinnett, Forsyth, Cobb, DeKalb, Henry, Cherokee, Douglas, Carroll, Coweta, Paulding, Bartow, Hall, Barrow, Walton, Newton, Rockdale, Henry, Spalding, Fayette and Clayton.

We have offices conveniently located at:

Alpharetta Georgia
North Point Park
5755 North Point Parkway
Suite 51
Alpharetta, GA 30022
Phone: 770-609-1247 | Map
Atlanta Georgia
Colony Square
1201 Peachtree Street, 400
Colony Square, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30361
Phone: 770-609-1247 | Map
Dunwoody / Sandy Springs
GA 400, Atlanta Georgia

1200 Abernathy Road, Bldg 600
Northpark Town Center
Atlanta, GA 30328
Phone: 770-609-1247 | Map
Cumming Georgia
The Avenue Forsyth
410 Peachtree Parkway
Building 400, Suite 4245
Cumming, GA 30041
Phone: 770-609-1247 | Map
Johns Creek / Duluth Georgia
11555 Medlock Bridge Road
Suite 100
Johns Creek, GA 30097
Phone: 770-609-1247 | Map
Duluth Georgia
2180 Satellite Boulevard
Suite 400
Duluth, GA 30097
Phone: 770-609-1247 | Map
Kennesaw Georgia
TownPark Center
125 TownPark Drive
Suite 300
Kennesaw, GA 30144
Phone: 770-609-1247 | Map
1755 North Brown Road
Suite 200
Lawrenceville, GA 30043
Phone: 770-609-1247 | Map

Copyright © 2021 | Coleman Legal Group, LLC | All Rights Reserved. Coleman Legal Group, LLC • 5755 North Point Parkway, Suite 51 • Alpharetta, Georgia 30022 • 770-609-1247 DISCLAIMER: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Privacy Policy | Site Map | Site Map 1 | Site Map 2Disclaimer | Additional Websites

Nolo Profile >>