770-609-1247 | Georgia Name Change Lawyers

Georgia Divorce, Family Law, Bankruptcy, Business Immigration Lawyers

Georgia Name Change Law in Georgia

Georgia Name Change Lawyers: Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek, Milton, Cumming, Metro Atlanta Area

Coleman Legal Group, LLC’s attorneys practice in the area of name changes in Georgia. In a divorce, the wife can ask for her name to be changed back to her maiden name in the divorce decree. However, if you did not change your name as a part of a divorce – or for any reason you want your name changed the family law attorneys at Coleman Legal Group, LLC can help.

Once our family law attorneys have petitioned the court for a change of your name and received the court order granting it – your name is officially changed. However, obtaining a court order changing your name is just one of the steps in the process. After your name has been changed with the court – and you have a copy of the court order you should do the following as soon as possible:

Update your Georgia Driver’s License. You should visit the Department of Driver Services and obtain a new driver’s license showing your new name. You will need to present a copy of the court order granting your name change. If you are also changing your address, you will also need to provide proof of new residence (such as a utility bill). You should be prepared to have your photograph taken again for your new driver’s license. Depending on when your license was last renewed, you may have to pay a fee. It is best to have cash available to pay this fee in case your check or debit / credit card is not accepted. As of 2012, there have been many new changes to the law governing the obtaining and renewing Georgia Driver’s Licenses. Therefore, we recommend check with the Department of Driver Services (http://www.dds.ga.gov/) regarding fees and other forms of identification that may be required.

Update your Passport. If you have obtained a passport within the last year, you should be able to update your passport information for free. However, you should refer to the U.S. Department of State website (http://travel.state.gov/) to find out which form(s) you will need to complete to update your passport with your new name.

Notify the Social Security Office of your New Name. You will need to locate a social security office near you bring and a copy of the court order granting your name change as well as a valid ID such as your driver’s license. There should be no fee to obtain a new social security card with your new name on it.

After you have changed your name on all of your legal documents and forms of identification (ID), you should contact your credit card providers, banks, subscriptions and service providers to update with your new name. Many of them will be able to make the name change and update their records over the phone. However, some banks and service providers may require that you appear at a local branch or office and provide copies of your new ID(s) and a copy of the court order granting your name change.